- Sustainability is not just doing the same things less badly.
- The tacit values of our culture are at direct odds with actually achieving “Right Livelihood”
- We are already in planetary overshoot, having ignored or dismissed the scientific evidence for the last 30 (or more) years
- Resilience in the challenging changes to come will depend on a completely different set of emotional cultural skills
- The dominant culture lacks narrative on how to collaborate and share the benefits of our joint efforts
- Our least adaptive cultural traits can only be addressed by confronting them in ourselves
- We cannot achieve a sustainable, just, “right” livelihood and also “succeed” according to the terms of our current cultural constructs. If you truly value the regenerative processes, you will have to take actions that are considered counter- or non-productive by mainstream society.
- On the other side of the hard work of self-knowledge there is a world of community and beauty… if we value the potential in beings and trust deeper longings, we become resistant to consumption and destruction as proof of worthiness.